By Mandy Schumaker
To get what you want, stop doing what isn’t working. – Dennis Weaver
Too often when we talk about goals, or intentions, or New Year’s resolutions, we just add a lot of things to our “to do” list. It’s no wonder that so often we get off-track or overwhelmed with our “things to accomplish” lists… sometimes even our bucket lists feel overwhelming.
I’m convinced it’s because people don’t take the time to look at what they might stop doing. This may partially be a cultural thing, that when we stop doing something, it’s a sign of failure, or that we’re giving up, or perhaps we can’t “handle everything” – which is supposed to be a badge of honor in our society.
But I really encourage you to take a look at what’s no longer working for you in your life or business and stop doing those things. Here’s a list of four things I compiled that have made my list for this year. I actually left the fifth one blank for you to add your own!
1. Stop hanging around negative people, including negative clients. You know those people who take more energy from you than give you energy. You know who they are, and by distancing yourself from them, you can start to spending time with those people in your life with a positive outlook on things. Trust me, you’ll find much greater energy from them.
2. Stop complaining. And start focusing on what’s working in your life, and what your grateful for. Extreme gratitude brings more goodness into our lives. Complaining just brings more wrinkles to your face! Live life from an abundant versus a scarcity perspective.
3. Stop checking your mobile device every 10 seconds (or at least between the hours of 6 pm and 8 am). Spend the time you gain talking to your kids, your spouse, and your partner. Let your brain rest from all the information you’ve put into it all day. This constant obsession with your phone takes you out of the present moment, trust me; you really miss a lot along the way!
4. Stop worrying so much about what everyone else is achieving, your looks and what everyone else thinks of you. Really, none of it matters at all. What matters is what you are achieving what YOU want to achieve, that you feel good about how you look and what you think of yourself!
5. Stop (fill in the blank). What’s the one thing you’d like to add to this list that you will stop doing in 2013?
Mandy Schumaker is president of Higher Performing People, a company devoted to helping self-employed professionals and small businesses get more clients, grow their business and make more money faster than they would on their own. Get a copy of her complimentary CD, “7 Productivity Secrets of Successful Entrepreneurs,” at www.mandyschumaker.com.